Saturday, February 8, 2014

Should I get a Mac or a PC laptop for college?




Laura


(Sorry if you aready read my other question, this is similar to it, but a different question)
I am a senior in high school, and am saving up to get a laptop to finish off my senior year, and to go into college with. Should I get a Mac or PC? I was leaning more towards Mac just because I have had TWO PC laptops, that broke and ALWAYS had something wrong with them. My sisters even crashes the printer whenever she plugs it in. So I was thinking about getting the 13" Macbook Air. Is that a good choice? And I am used to using Macs because we use Apple laptops daily in school, so I am very familiar with the operating system. So.... Your opinion? (And I am willing to save up more money for a better laptop, but my max is about $1,200
Thank You! :)



Answer
For video or photo editing or any kind of graphic design, or "general use," Mac is definitely supreme. I'm not even talking about specs (though with any Mac, the specs are great), the operating system is just so clean and easy to work with. Especially iWork, which is Apple's version of Microsoft Office (though Office works on Mac).

I know a lot of people think you're paying for the glowing piece of fruit on the back of the computer when you choose Apple. But I think you're paying for the money that has gone into developing a truly advanced, but yet simple to use operating system. That's why more and more people are switching. Saying that the "software is incompatible" is just plain outdated. And you can't deny that they're beautiful computers designed with top quality hardware and specs. But that's just a bonus.

The 13" Macbook Air is a fine choice for you. Just know that you'll only have 128 GB of storage space, which may not be enough depending on your major. If you'll just plan on storing mostly documents and presentations 128 GB should be fine.

If you want the most for your money, you could buy a refurbished July 2011 Air. This will give you double the storage space for the same price -- all you're sacrificing is a slightly faster processor and slightly better graphics. Here's a link: http://store.apple.com/us/product/G0ME0LL/A

The best thing you can do is get into an Apple store and get your hands on these machines, even before you make the decision: mac or pc. In my experience, the people working at Apple are very helpful in getting you the right computer for your needs.

I hope this helps!

By the way, I'm not "against" PC. If you must go for PC, for whatever reason, make you you choose a solid company, such as HP, Dell, Acer, or Toshiba.

How good is this computer?




Andy Z.


I'm looking to buy a really good computer for gaming, photoshop, adobe after effects, premiere pro, and stuff like that.

PROCESSORIntel® Core⢠i7 2920XM Overclocked Turbo Boost to 4.0GHz (8MB Cache)edit

OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bitedit

MEMORY16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz (4DIMMS)edit

VIDEO CARDDual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon⢠HD 6970M - AMD CrossFireXâ¢edit

HARD DRIVE750GB RAID 1 (2x 750GB 7200RPM)edit

WIRELESS + BLUETOOTHIntel® Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 a/b/g/n 3x3 MIMO Technology and Bluetooth 3.0edit

WIRELESSHDInternal 60GHz WirelessHD Transmitter and VIZIO XWH200 Universal Wireless HD Video and Audio Kitedit

INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVESlot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) with Roxio Creator 2011edit
SOUND OPTIONSInternal High-Definition 5.1 Performance Audio with SoundBlaster MB Software



Answer
AMD 6970m Crossfire? *drools*

That will run most games maxed out, and will be overkill for any video editing software. Compared to a Mac (as mentioned by another person), that laptop will out preform a top of the line MacPro (desktop)

9.9/10

However, this laptop, upgraded with Nvidia 485 SLI would be even stronger (10/10)
http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP7282




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: Should I get a Mac or a PC laptop for college?
Rating: 97% based on 975 ratings. 4,7 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment