Sunday, December 8, 2013

What's a good video editing program for what I want to do (read on)?

laptop for video editing videoguys
 on ... Vegas Pro 12 and Sound Forge for Mac now available at Videoguys.com
laptop for video editing videoguys image



vagabond79


I am archiving videos of sports events on my computer from television so there are a lot of commercials to edit out. Thus far I have used Windows Media Maker and that's ok except that when compiling the video with any decent quality it takes FOREVER. Do other programs do this as well? Could you recommend a good program that makes this easier and faster?


Answer
The taking forever part has less to do with the video editor, and more to do with the power of your computer--or, most likely in this case, the lack thereof. What are the specs of the machine you're using?

There are two big undefined variables here: your defining time length for "forever" and the exact parameters of video with "any decent quality."

Earlier this year, I began shooting with an HD camcorder. When I tried editing the high def footage, my laptop with an Intel Centrino Duo processor and 2 GB RAM wasn't anywhere near powerful enough. Now I've got a Dell Studio 435T with 8 GB RAM, Intel i7 processor and 1 GB high def graphics card. Rendering times in Sony Vegas Pro are far quicker--in other words, far short of forever.

If you're considering upgrading your system for better video editing, here's a guide I used when buying my new setup:
http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+DIY7+Intel+Core+i7+with+Vista+64/0xe07f65920351fbf3ed8f9892355dfda0.aspx

If you have any other questions, feel free to leave a comment at my blog and I'll get back to you. http://www.werdofbert.com

Recommended Spec For HD Video Editing Laptop?




Mike


The laptop I am currently using struggles when editing videos - and is almost impossible to edit HD videos with. I need something a bit more powerful.

So, what would be the minimum requirements + a bit more, just to be sure?



Answer
Began doing video production for my job at the end of last year. Like you, at the time, I was attempting to edit HD footage with an underpowered laptop, both at work and at home. When I was researching how to upgrade my system, I found this article, which was a really big help: http://www.videoguys.com/Guide/E/Videoguys+System+recommendations+for+Video+Editing/0x4aebb06ba071d2b6a2cd784ce243a6c6.aspx

For home, I bought a Dell Studio XPS 435T: 8GB RAM, i7-920 processor, ATI Radeon HD video card, 750GB storage, and a 24'' monitor. At work, the company got me a Dell business workstation with 12GB RAM and a Xeon processor, with two 22'' monitors. A significant upgrade, to say the least. That may seem superfluous to you, but if you really want to build an HD-capable system, you need to go as beefy as you can.

That's why my advice would be to steer you away from a laptop; with a desktop, you're going to get far more bang for your buck, not to mention a much bigger screen.

It used to take an hour and a half to render a four minute video, and while editing, I was forced to have the preview window at the lowest/smallest resolution, both because of the lack of power and lack of screen real estate--not much fun and horribly time-consuming. Now, it takes eight minutes and I get to have the preview window at the best and biggest resolution, along with a timeline that stretches across two monitors--a whole lot of fun and much more efficient.

Which type of high def camcorder and files are you working with? AVCHD or HDV? Here's a blog post I wrote about my own workflow: http://www.werdofbert.com/2009/08/best-workflow-avchd-convert-editing.html

Any further questions, you can leave a comment and I'll get back to you. Hope this helped your decision!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What's a good video editing program for what I want to do (read on)?
Rating: 97% based on 975 ratings. 4,7 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment