Monday, May 5, 2014

How feasible is it for me to use my laptop as my video editing station?




somegirl


If I keep all my personal documents and everything on my external hard drive and customize my laptop for memory, etc. should I be able to have a portable video editing station with my laptop? (I've worked with final cut pro, but am thinking of using vegas pro on my laptop)


Answer
I have been using vegas for video editing on my laptop for 4 years with no problems. You can do all of the same things on a laptop that you can do on a desktop system. The important thing is to make sure your laptop has the resources to edit video. The bigger your project, the more CPU and memory you will need and a GPU will just add to ease of use and faster rendering. Before I got my new system was editing video on a 450 MHz celeron with no GPU successfully. Rendering was a bit slow but it still worked. I can imagine that your laptop is probably 5 times faster than that and if you do have a GPU then you should e good to go.

Best laptop for video editing?




Kira


I currently have a hp Pavilion dv7, i5 core and running Windows 7. It's alright, but Sony Vegas is a pain in the rear to use. It always crashes on me, doesn't feel like working, etc. I know how to use pretty much all types if video editing software, (Final Cut, too), and either way, I don't mind learning. The thing is I'm going to start film school and I want a good, decent computer that's reliable and not going to let me down when it comes to video editing, because that's pretty much what I'm going to be doing. It would also be nice if it's simply just an all-around good laptop. Mac or PC, I don't have a particular preference, just tell me which is the best route to go.


Answer
Although I now own an HP laptop for personal use, for video editing, I always preferred my Mac. It was very user friendly and everything was easy to do on there. However, my problem with my last Mac laptop was how flimsy the actual casing was. I switched not because it stopped working, but because the bezel holding the screen in broke and Apple wanted $800 to fix it. They didn't have a bezel to switch out. They said I had to put a brand new screen (top piece) on it. The screen itself was still fine. I talked to them and got them down to 400, but that was NOT including the service which I would have had to pay. I couldn't see paying for that when I could get a new machine that was faster and did everything I needed it to do. Windows 7 is very similar to Mac, but as far as video editing, I still prefer my Mac. I just can't move it off the desk anymore. As you know, you'll need something with a lot of memory and a fast processor. So basically if you can afford the Mac and are very careful with it, I'd go that route. Most professionals do use them. All my friends that are in the business do, actually. Hope that helps.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How feasible is it for me to use my laptop as my video editing station?
Rating: 97% based on 975 ratings. 4,7 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment