Friday, May 9, 2014

What is a good alternative video-editing program to windows movie maker?




Devil's Ad


I updated to Windows movie maker 2012 from Windows live movie maker so that I would be able to use the "speed" options when editing video clips, but it is such a resource sucker that it lags like crazy before crashing. I don't mind paying less than $40 for a good program, but I need it to be able to: Edit/trim dozens of video clips into one cohesive video, add and edit music clips over, edit video playback speed, have a variety of transitions, ability to add captions/text with existing fonts on my computer, and a fairly simple user interface. (I'm not professional, so if it's a prog that assumes you're anything more than an amateur video editor, I'll be lost)

So basically, everything Windows Movie Maker 2012 can do, but with better written software that isn't such a CPU/RAM killer.

Specs for my laptop: Windows 7, 2.13 GHz Intel Core i3 processor, 4G RAM (not much, but worked fine with windows live movie maker except that it didn't have the option to slow down or speed up video playback.)



Answer
Hello friend, there are some good alternatives to windows maker. They are listed below.

1. Kate's Video Toolkit
While there's nothing too surprising in Kate's Video Toolkit, it does provide some basic but useful editing features. So you can trim files or join them, link two videos with a transition, create a sequence of videos with a custom soundtrack, and there's a simple file format conversion tool as well.

2. Avidemux
Avidemux is a small but capable open source video editor which can help you join clips, cut them (without re-encoding), and apply a lengthy list of useful filters (Add Logo, Crop, Flip, Rotate, Resize, Sharpen, Remove Noise, tweak brightness, contrast colours and more).

3. VSDC Free Video Editor
Non-linear video editors can take some time to learn, and VSDC Free Video Editor is no exception (a lack of useful documentation doesn't help, either).If you persevere, though, you'll find a capable editor with plenty of functionality: drawing and selection tools, plenty of colour and lighting corrections, some useful filters, transitions, audio effects and more.

Video editing Windows Movie Maker help?




---


Okay so the only editing software I have is Windows Movie Maker because I'm not able to purchase other programs. I want to remake a paranormal activity scene for my history class. Is there any way I can get a "night vision" looking filter added when I put it on the Movie Maker editor? And is there a way I can make it look like there's a date and the time running on the side of the corner of the camera? I want this to look as realistic as possible. If there is another video editor program that works better and is something I can possibly get for free please let me know. I will be using a Canon camera with good quality. All answers that will help is needed and no sarcastic remarks are welcomed. Thanks :)


Answer
There's a night vision filter for the Vista version of Movie Maker.
http://windowsmoviemakers.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?&PostID=192337

You can try to fake Night Vision by using two filters: first make the clip black and white and then Negative to reverse - but it won't have the glowing greenish tint. (Oops! I tried with Movie Maker 2012 and there is no Negative filter. Some of Patrick's filters work in Movie Maker 2012 and I tried every which way to get Night Vision to work but it wouldn't.:-(

There are a lot more title, transition and effects options in the Vista version that in the cut-down newer versions of Movie Maker but its a lot more hands-on. The one thing the Vista (and XP) version lacks are the Pan and Zoom options.

You can get a timer for the XP and Vista versions but I don't know of a free date countdown or count-up clip.


(The newer Windows Live versions of Movie Maker don't allow overlays so you can't add things onto a video background and Microsoft didn't provide developers with the software code so they can't make the extras for the Windows Live versions that they're making for the XP and the Vista versions.)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What is a good alternative video-editing program to windows movie maker?
Rating: 97% based on 975 ratings. 4,7 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment