Monday, November 18, 2013

How much does hyperthreading help with video editing?

best laptop for video editing and rendering
 on Apple IMovie - Top Video Editing Software for mac
best laptop for video editing and rendering image



Guy


I am just compiling a PC to build, and I have a specific CPU that looks pretty good. It seems like a pretty good CPU for gaming, but there is one problem: It has no hyperthreading. I've seen many places that say it doesn't really affect games, but video editing programs, modeling programs, photo editing programs, programs like those it might affect. I am an avid video editor (I mainly make 2:00-5:00 Videos though, YouTube Poops mainly), and I am starting to somewhat get into 3d modeling. Will having no hyperthreading in the CPU affect editing programs badly? For all I know, the other components of the PC will make it so there is no difference. Also note that it is not like I need videos rendered super fast or anything; my 6 Year old laptop rendered just fine. Do you think there would be any issues? I found a Xeon processor that looked really good, but a friend told me it probably wouldn't work on that computer, since it is a server processor. Is he wrong? (P.S. I mainly intend on gaming (this build seems like a really good gaming PC for the price), and video editing. Those are the main things I can think that no Hyper-Threading might affect). If you are also curious, I mainly use Sony Vegas Pro 9 and Photoshop/Gimp for editing, but I might go back to a few Adobe products like After Effects or Premiere Pro, but probably CS3.
Here is a link to the CPU:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637i53570k

Here is a link to the whole PC Build:
http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Here is a link to the Xeon Processor:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80637e31230v2

Feel free to send me any builds you think would work good for what I am doing, too.



Answer
Software is taking more and more advantage of GPU acceleration. When doing 3d the graphics card is what accounts for a smooth viewport performance, not the processor. On the other hand, some dynamics/effects solvers (fire/smoke, fracture, cloth, fluids, etc) may still be software based, which is where CPU would come into play. The program/add-on itself has to be designed to harness hyperthreading to begin with.
GPU acceleration is gradually becoming a standard for video editing and compositing as well. For instance, some software-based legacy plugins and filters are being re-written to take advantage of GPU hardware acceleration. Meanwhile, more and more 3d renderers are becoming hardware accelerated. As a comparison, NextLimit Maxwell is pure CPU, whereas Otoy Octane is pure GPU. Random Control Arion, on the other hand, is a CPU/GPU hybrid.
Familiarize yourself with the specs of the apps you're going to use to decide whether you need to invest in a better CPU or a better GPU.

What to look for when buying a new laptop for photo & film editing?




Rach8


Ok, first, you should know that you are talking to a tech-retard. I know nothing about laptops! I need a new one suitable for editing images and also some HD video editing. What sort of things should I look for in a laptop suitable for these? I'd like to research into one myself. If you have any recommendations of laptops that are good for my needs that would be great too. Hopefully you can help me. Thanks


Answer
go to hp, and check out their High Performance laptops, I had just got the dv6t quad edition, and its excellent.

has the highest video card for the price of the laptop, im running battlefield 3 excellent. Im sure it will handle anything video or image quality.

and it has the new 3rd gen intel processors, the i7s, which are what ur looking for that can handle all the rendering of video / image editing.

Your going to need more than 8gbs of ram though, like 12 or 16. I've researched it too for those types of programs. 8 is good too, but for standard gaming and things. You might see a bit of delay when opening or waiting for the edits to apply if u have only 8.

and oh, DON't get apple. lol




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: How much does hyperthreading help with video editing?
Rating: 97% based on 975 ratings. 4,7 user reviews.
Author: Unknown

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment